[support] cvs diff: list unknown files with question mark

augustin (beginner) drupal.beginner at wechange.org
Sat Jul 12 22:56:53 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008 16:13:48 Sean Burlington wrote:
>     I've never known CVS not to do that ...
>
> but perhaps if you could tell us a little about your setup it might help
> us help you ..
>
> Windows/Mac/Linux ?
>
> Which version of cvs do you have?
>
> Are you sure these files are neither in cvs - nor been cvsignore'd ??

Thanks Sean and Earnie for your follow ups.

I am using the latest version of Kubuntu (2008.4)

$ cvs -v
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.13 (client/server)

though the repository itself (also on my local computer) is a bit older (~2
years old). It was set up using an older version of Mandriva.
Maybe I can compare the default configuration files of a fresh Ubuntu cvs
install with what I have now... It's a long shot but I don't have anything
better right now. Only the repository is older, though. I have recently
reinstalled the OS, so the configuration files server site are the default
ones for a new Ubuntu, and the user is a new one, too, so the configuration
file in the user's home directory would be a recent default, too. Still, I'll
check them...

No, the files are not being cvsignored. It's my own repository and I've never
used that feature. I can create a new file right now (vi test.txt) and it
will not show up in the diff.

As to CVS not known to do that... my research on the web has convinced me that
my situation is not common, but not unique either. Whenever I read a manual
or a tutorial somewhere, the author assumes that those files will be shown
with a question mark in front of them.

However, I came across a long thread started by someone who asked exactly the
same question. Unfortunately, the thread went off a tangent and the guy never
received an answer...

Even though you might not have the answer, I appreciate that you tried to help
out (including Jonathan, earlier). Thanks.

Blessings,

Augustin.