[support] upgrading to 5.8. One question.

Brian Choc bchoc at t4tcolorado.org
Mon Jul 14 18:00:03 UTC 2008

I found that disabling modules during minor upgrades causes data loss
consistently under specific circumstances, during earlier updates (e.g. 5.2,
5.3).  I observed that any module-supplied node type would drop all the data
in any assigned CCK fields when disabling & upgrading.  For example, if one
had a simplenews node with an "editor" cck field attached to it, one would
lose all "editor" information.  However, the basic simplenews node data
would be kept, as would any cck fields attached to standard nodes.  Only the
combo of cck + module-supplied-node-type seemed to cause problems.

Fortunately, I make backups before upgrading and restored each time and did
the upgrade without disabling modules and it worked fine.  After 5.5, I
think, I gave up attempting to disable modules and have had no problems
since.

Brian

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:12 AM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Disabling modules anyhow can certainly lose data. Even without
> >> uninstalling. I disabled the Ads module on a site once, I believe, and
> >> data was lost which we were forced to restore (what we could) from
> >> backups.
> >>
> > If it does the module is broken and needs a bug report issued.  I've
> > not found this case.
>
> I believe I made a mistake. The case where I lost data I think was
> actually that I uninstalled a module.
>
> You are correct, because simply disabling module does run any code, so
> how could any data be lost?
>
> It indeed should be the case that disabling modules will NOT lose any data.
>
> My mistake for saying otherwise.
>
> Fred

Brian Choc
Technology Manager