[support] Disappearing .htaccess File

philip at philipnet.com philip at philipnet.com
Sun Jul 20 07:41:51 UTC 2008

Hi Steve,

If it's not your client, then it's the server.
I've used hosting companies before where they won't show the .htaccess
file (or any file starting with '.') in a directory listing. In those
cases the companies have recommended keeping a local copy of the
.htaccess or .htpasswd file(s) in case you ever need to amend them.

And what about the Apache configuration?
Can you confirm that that allows .htaccess files to override the settings?
Because of a performance hit when using .htaccess files some hosts
don't allow .htaccess files.

Regards.

Philipnet.

http://www.philipnet.com/