[support] Drupal 5 works with FF not IE

Peter Dow (DSS) pdow at dowsoftware.com
Mon Jul 21 05:15:06 UTC 2008

Please bear in mind that I'm a newbie with Linux.

I'm running Xubuntu, Apache2.2.8 (Ubuntu), PHP 5.2.4, MySQL 5.

When using FireFox 3.0, the site works as expected.

When using Internet Explorer 7, login fails, redisplaying the login page
with the message:

        Access denied

    You are not authorized to access this page.

When I use the Drupal administration to look at the Drupal logs, I see
the following for the Firefox login:

    Details

Type 	user
Date 	Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 19:35
User 	peter <http://71.254.147.252:5080/drupal5/?q=user/2>
Location 	http://www.cardenasdow.us/drupal5/?destination=node
Referrer 	http://71.254.147.252:5080/drupal5/
Message 	Session opened for /peter/.
Severity 	notice
Hostname 	71.254.147.252

And for the Internet Explorer login:

    Details

Type 	user
Date 	Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 19:36
Referrer 	http://71.254.147.252:5080/drupal5/?q=node
Message 	Session opened for /peter/.
Severity 	notice
Hostname 	71.254.147.252

The only difference (other than the time) is the "Referrer" link.  I
read up on Clean URLs, but cannot seem to get them working correctly.  I
have the Apache Rewrite module loaded, and in the .htaccess file I have:

  RewriteEngine on
  Options All
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^cardenasdow\.us$ [NC]
  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.cardenasdow.us/$1 [L,R=301]
  RewriteBase /drupal5
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]

I used the Drupal module administration to load the Path module.

A lot of the posts I've read about this are on the confusing side
because it is unclear where the file they're telling me to modify
actually is.  It's also not apparent where things get installed.  Here's
what I think I know of my directory structure:

Apache is in /etc/apache2.  It has the following subdirectories:

conf.d
mods-available
mods-enabled
sites-available
sites-enabled

Drupal is in /etc/drupal/5 with subdirectories

profiles
    default

sites
    default

My website documents are in /var/www.

Drupal documents are in /var/www/drupal5.

I've tried clearing cache tables (cache, cache_filters, cache_menu,
cache_page) in the drupal database to no avail.

How do I get this to work for IE7?

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050