[support] Modules : best of ?

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Sat Jul 26 23:52:45 UTC 2008

Hello, all,

In my experience, DrupalModules.com will be of limited use for this need
-- However, the "related conversations" links currently visible on the
modules pages on drupal.org provide a broader range of conversations
from a wider swath of people, and I have found these to be far more
valuable as an information resource.

If you want to get started using Drupal, start by installing Drupal
core, and enabling the core blog module. Create some blog posts. Then,
create some pages.

Then -- and this is the big leap -- install the Views module. Views has
a steep learning curve, but is a great tool for learning Drupal, as it
ties together the different pieces of Drupal's inner workings. Use views
to start creating customized pages to display your posts.

Lullabot has an excellent series of podcasts on using and customizing
Drupal. The Drupal dojo (at groups.drupal.org/drupal-dojo ) is another
excellent resource.

And, as you are learning, ask questions -- ask them here, in the support
forums, on groups.drupal.org --

And, google is your friend -- use "search string site:drupal.com" to
search drupal.org --

Search strings matter -- often, when searching, you need to translate
your need into "Drupalese" -- this handbook page gives an overview of
Drupal terminology: http://drupal.org/node/937

Finally, two modules that extend the power of your Drupal install: Views
(already mentioned, at http://drupal.org/project/views ) and CCK, at
http://drupal.org/project/cck

Anybody who has used Drupal has faced a daunting learning curve, and we
have all been aided by the assistance of others -- as you learn, don't
hesitate to ask questions; and as you ask, provide as much detail as
possible, because the more detail you include, the more people will be
able to pinpoint possible solutions.

And then, 2 months from now, when you see someone else asking a
question, you can help them out with a response :)

Looking forward to seeing your questions on the list.

Cheers,

Bill

Richard Burford wrote:
> Have you seen drupalmodules.com?
>
> psynaptic
> http://freestylesystems.co.uk
> http://api.freestylesystems.co.uk
>
> On 26 Jul 2008, at 18:15, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm getting completely lost between the thousends and thousends of
>> modules as
>> I'm trying to learn and use Drupal (I'm using v5-9)...
>>
>> Is there some list of recommended or best-of modules regarding
>> generic usages
>> of Drupal like ie. web site, blogs ..etc.. ?
>>
>> Many thanks for any link or recommandation.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Bruno
>>
>> --

Bill Fitzgerald