[support] tutorial on dynamically generating menu in D5

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Jul 28 15:42:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:07:50 +0200
Florent JOUSSEAUME <florent.jousseaume at makina-corpus.com> wrote:

> For your example, this is not a switch, but 2 modules with
> differents ACL. The block 'login' is displayed for 'Anonymous' and
> the menu is displayed for 'Authenticated user' (block Navigation).
>
> For the element's visibility in the menu, this is with the
> user_access method defined in the function 'hook_menu' for each
> module.

It looks a bit hakish.
And I still can't get it completely.

1)
path user points to user_login if(uid) otherwise it should point to
something else... but what is the alternative?
In user_menu all paths are user/[something else] or admin/user/...
I can't understand why once the user is logged in and the path
user/[uid] becomes available the path /user reaches user_view

2)
I can't yet understand the magic that make -My account appear in the
Menu admin pages as locked. I still haven't had the time to read the
code.

3)
I miss how I can *render* menu with the admin interface and/or in
modules.
I'd expect that if I build up a $items hierarchy I could build up a
menu from the "admin" interface adding a path and the menu system
will take care of rendering children once I eg. put the menu in a
block.
What if I'd like to render the menu inside my code? I think I should
use menu_tree... but well I bet there are a lot of tricks I could
learn without guessing them from the API.

4) I haven't seen any tutorial, handbook... on any of the menu_
family of function.
There is nothing on "Pro Drupal development" book.

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it