[support] Dupal vs DotNetNuke

Sebastien Louis sebastien at dianjingkeji.com
Sun Jun 22 04:34:11 UTC 2008

Hi everybody.

I have a big project for a customer here in China and after studying
its requirements and the different technologies available out there, I
am left with two choices: Drupal and DotNetNuke.

This project indeed involve a very detailed list of user groups and
permissions for its different features and these two Open-Source CMS
seem to be the ones that provide the best ACL.

I am personally more experienced with DotNetNuke and I'm confident
that I could find all the DNN modules that I need for this project,
but my team has mostly been working with Joomla! so if I can find all
these modules for Drupal, that would probably be best.

So I have had a quick look at the list of modules on the Drupal
website and couldn't easily find those so I thought I'll flick a quick
email to the support mailing-list.

As you guys know Drupal much better than me, you might be able to let
me know if these modules are actually available.

Thanks for your help!

Sebastien Louis

Project Manager
Crystal Science & Technology

--

1 - User Registration

The main reason for choosing Drupal for this website is that it offers
a powerful ACL. After registering to the website, users will be put in
the Members group, but they should also have the ability to submit
further documents and details to become a Verified Members. So it
would be great to find an existing module that can handle two-steps
registrations.

2 - User Profile

Registered users will be given the ability to manage their own user
profile. Like most websites of this kind, users will be able to keep
some of these details private.

However, even though the email address might not be displayed, users
should be able to email the users they visit the user profile. This is
similar to sending a message to the user except that the message is
send by email. No need for an internal inbox for each user.

3 - User Directory

The purpose of this module is to provide the ability to access the
profiles of the users in a specific group (i.e. the list of Verified
Members).

Details of the different users will be displayed according to a set of
internal rules (i.e. do not show the email address) and according to
each user preferences (i.e. user can choose to show his address or not).

To browse this directory, visitors will be able to use an advanced
search interface (i.e. search by name, city, region, country...) or by
clicking on a simple map with predefined regions.

4 - Marketing Tools

The purpose of this module is to take advantage of the list of users
to send them newsletters and invitations according to different
criteria (i.e. group, region, date of birth...).

5 - Calendar of Events

A standard calendar module that can be configured to display role
based events.

6 - Forums

A standard forum module that can be configured to display role based
threads.

7 - Online Discussion

The purpose of this module is to setup an online discussion on a
specific topic between an expert and the different users of the
website. Questions will be posted by the users for the expert to
answer. Moderators will need to review the questions before they are
sent to the expert.

8 - RSS Feeds

A standard RSS reader module that can be configured to display role
based feeds.

9 - News Feeds

A standard news module that can be configured to display role based
news.

Ideally the administrator of the website should be able to publish
news in different categories and each category will be displayed in a
different page, but if that's not possible, administrating several
instance of the module should be fine.

Control over the number of news per page and over the layout of the
different pages should be easy to setup or hack.

Crystal Science & Technology
Room 2103, Shangdu Soho South (Blue) Tower,
Dongdaqiao Rd. Chaoyang District, Beijing P.R.C. 100022

w: www.dianjingkeji.com
p: +86 10 5900 1375
f: +86 10 5900 1376
m: +86 135 204 96 314

This e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed.
If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail,
please notify the author by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely
on this e-mail.   By replying to this e-mail you give your consent to
such monitoring.  All materials produced and published by Beijing
Crystal Science and Technology Limited, including logo's, drawings,
data, products, content, images,web designs are protected by copyright
laws, and belong to Beijing Crystal Science and Technology Limited or
to third parties otherwise stated by a specific contract. They may not
be reproduced, republished, distributed, transmitted, resold,
displayed, broadcast, or otherwise exploited in any manner without the
express written permission of Beijing Crystal Science and Technology
Limited.