[support] Import HTML, XLS, UTF and MySQL

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 3 13:04:31 UTC 2008

Quoting Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com>:

> The only PROBLEM is that there are UTF characters (Hebrew to be
> specific) in the data and when I run my PHP script, it converts them to
> garbage question mark signs. I have PHP 5 and MySQL 5 on my Win 2K system.

You may want to look at PHP functions htmlspecialchars_decode,
html_entity_decode and utf8_encode.

> Can anyone suggest a way either to get <style> to come out of the XLS or
> to update the DB via PHP without losing my UTF chars?

For the ``input filter'' add the <style> tag as a valid tag.  For
instance if you're using Html Filtered Input then see
admin/settings/filters/1/configure for the configuration of valid tags.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/