[support] current wiki tools in drupal

Ari Davidow aridavidow at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 20:03:00 UTC 2008

We're beginning to describe a Drupal project that we feel is "wiki-ish" and
I am thoroughly confused as to what would be needed to implement a "wiki"
using drupal. It looks like wikitools provides some filters to translate
between wiki markup and regular html, but for our purposes, that is the
piece we care about least. (We intend to use tinyMCE or equivalent for
markup--the users of this project will not be any happier with wiki markup
than with html.)

So, what makes a page a wiki? We are thinking of a few primary elements:

1. The ability of any registered user to edit the page in a browser. (Note:
Any registered Drupal user with appropriate permissions can do this with any
Drupal page, as well.)

2. The ability to view the page's history and to roll back changes easily.
(This may also be built into Drupal?)

3. The ability to create a new, blank page by creating a link to it.

Are we really just talking about a standard Drupal book? When other people
say 'wiki,' to what more are they referring (or is the "what more" wiki
markup language?)

ari