[support] current wiki tools in drupal - talk vs comments

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 10 11:53:37 UTC 2008

Quoting Ari Davidow <aridavidow at gmail.com>:

>> Regarding "Talk" -- from a UI perspective I think it is one of the worst
>> things about mediawiki. I think that Drupal's stock comments implementation
>> on the same page as the node is much better than having a talk page on a
>> separate page.
>

> We may have to disagree here. I think of the "talk" page as a place for
> meta-discussion--discussion about an  article, say, if we were to use the
> MediaWiki example. I would want "comments", were they implemented for a page
> (MediaWiki doesn't do this, presumably on the assumption that non-meta
> comments belong as edits in the article) to refer to the =subject= of the
> article.
>
> So, if I write a page on klezmer, and you make some edits with which I
> disagree, the "talk" page is a good place to hash out administrativia, but
> if you and I have different views on klezmer, the "comments" section would
> be a good place for the two of us to discuss (along with anyone else who
> joined in).
>
> Does this make any sense?

Yes, but TEHO which is why WMHTD is true.  People like different
presentations and one is just as good as the other.  It is all in how
you perceive it or have been accustomed to doing.

[1] TEHO - To each his own
[2] WMHTD - We may have to disagree

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/