[support] changing host: dealing with mails

Augustin (Beginner) drupal.beginner at wechange.org
Wed Mar 12 09:09:55 UTC 2008

Hello,

One of my web sites is changing host. I have prepared the Drupal
files, and used /etc/hosts to test the Drupal site at its new
location. Now, I only need to shut down the site, make a last sql
dump, import it and then, lastly, change the DNS.

But it only now occurred to me that migrating a web server is only
half of changing hosts.

What about mails?

What is a good procedure to migrate all the mails on the server, and
also to make sure that no mail is lost during the DNS change (during
the propagation of the new DNS)?

I have not found a page on the web about a best practice about
changing hosts, what data to migrate, what not, and how to be
prepared to avoid troubles.

Any hints?

Thanks.

Augustin.