[support] Tracking user IP addresses for duplicate accounts

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Thu Mar 13 13:37:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:
>  Another challenge I have is on one site, users keep signing up multiple times
>  with more than one account.  That's a problem, as multiple accounts is
>  against our site's TOS since we frequently have votes that are
>  one-vote-per-account.  Our legacy system that we killed when we moved to
>  Drupal had built-in IP logging every time a user logged in, so we could go in
>  and check IP addresses in case we suspected a duplicate user.  We could also
>  see the IP address someone signed up from, and match that against any
>  recently logged IPs.

A related but different tool is the single login -
http://drupal.org/project/single_login  but, I don't think it does
exactly what you need :(

>  Does anyone know of a similar tool for Drupal, or is this another module I'm
>  going to have to write myself? :-)

I think that's the case that you'll have to write it.

You probably know, but in some cases there are whole companies, ISPs,
and even countries behind a single IP.  I guess that your audience is
focused enough that you won't worry about that, but it should be a
"Note:" in the README of any module like this.

Regards,
Greg

--
Greg Knaddison