[support] multisite OR many drupals

John Furfey jfurfey at mbl.edu
Fri Mar 14 20:37:10 UTC 2008

Hello,

We're in the process of setting up Drupal to be used for one week in
a classroom setting.  There will be 10 teams each creating their own
site with Drupal.  Performance is not a big issue for us.

We've messed around with a multisite installation and have had some
problems.  We're now thinking of going a different route, and I''ve
set up our server as follows:

10 Drupal code bases each with it's own mysql database:

/var/www/html/drupal1
/var/www/html/drupal2
/var/www/html/drupal3
/var/www/html/drupal10

Additionally, there are 10 aliases in httpd.conf :

Alias /drupal1 /var/www/html/drupal1
Alias /drupal2 /var/www/html/drupal2
Alias /drupal3 /var/www/html/drupal3
Alias /drupal10 /var/www/html/drupal10

Considering our classroom environment, and that performance is not a
priority, will this setup be OK?  Any comments from those with
experience administering Drupal would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

John Furfey
Digital Systems and Services Coordinator
MBLWHOI Library
Woods Hole MA  02543 USA
PHONE:  508-289-7435
EMAIL:  jfurfey at mbl.edu