[support] Is this achievable using drupal alone?

Neil: esl-lounge.com neil at esl-lounge.com
Sat Mar 15 19:45:04 UTC 2008

Thanks for the responses so far...this has certainly kept my brain busy for the last couple of days and there are still a lot of uncertainties in my mind. I'm not sure I understand how I would use Views to present each "page" for each city with the tagged entries underneath. As I understand Views, I could present a list (table, full nodes or teasers) with, for example, all content tagged with "Dallas, TX", but how would I alter what comes at the top of each page (using, presumably the page/header text box)? I would ideally like to present some type of Info box at the top of each city's page (founded, population, long/lat, country/state, etc). I wouldn't be able to do this with views, would I? This is also why I was toying with the idea of just having a group for each city.

Using CCK, I could have member enter all the Info Box fields when they create each new one. Then, using my exisiting node-group.tpl.php, the group page could be laid out with the info box at the top of the page, the mission statement, etc, to one side and all the relevant content (forum posts, blog entries, images, pagers, etc) showing below. So I might have something like this:

http://i29.tinypic.com/9bazyf.png

Does this sound workable? What problems are there in having potentially 10,000 groups? Or 100,000? How would I get them all to link together (as the [category:Texas] function would allow me to do in MediaWiki, for example.)? Is there any way I could use a special CCK field to introduce the idea of hierarchy (United States >> Texas >> Dallas >> Plano) into the group content type? Or would I need to get busy with a Location taxonomy and tag each new group as it's created??

Again, I really appreciate any input on this from anyone, if only to point me in the right direction.

Neil