[support] File system out of root

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Mar 19 14:57:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:38:38 -0400
Mark Shropshire <mdshrops at shropnet.com> wrote:

> Good point Ivan.. Thanks!

> Do you happen to know what to put into .htaccess to make this
> happen so I can keep in my notes?

order allow,deny
deny from all

but then everything you put in files will be "private".
That means that if you're publishing articles that contains pics,
those pics will have to be served by PHP and by default there no way
to allow access to some rule etc...
You could surely place stuff through ftp in a different dir etc...
but it is a bit of pain.

You could:
files (no .htaccess limits)
files/private (.htaccess)
+
ftp

you could write a "smarter" .htaccess that limit direct access to
files with a certain pattern and instruct your users to upload node
attachment following that rule. It would still be a PITA even if your
users are willing to be instructed ;)

There are modules that let you have private/public access:
filemanager and private_upload
I ended up coding my own solution due to my limited needs so I can't
comment if the above may be up to the task, but they seemed the most
promising.

Maybe fckeditor (and others) can upload files in subdirs of files/.
Be warned that such kind of toys may let people save files *below*
your "root"... I think fckeditor has a strong enough reputation to
avoid the problem... but I'd check the configuration of such kind of
beasts before making any serious plan.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it