[support] Assigning tasks in Project Issue

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Mar 26 14:49:15 UTC 2008

I see three ways one could make a decently-scaling selector:

1) Make the select box only pull from those people with CVS on the same project.  Pro: very small list.  Con: Doesn't make sense for Drupal itself, and requires CVS module.

2) Wrapper so that if a project is also an OG node, offer a select list of all people subscribed to that OG only.  Pro: integrates with other modules, very configurable; Con: Useless for drupal.org.

3) Replace the select box with an auto-complete field.  Pro: Infinite scaling, useful for Drupal.org, well-established mechanism.  Con: Doesn't auto-suggest as well as a select box.

I think #3 is the way to go for Drupal.org itself, possibly combined with a role restriction.  For your use case, a site-specific patch for any of the above would probably work.  (I likely will need #2 at some point, but #3 would work as well.)

Happy coding. :-)

--Larry Garfield