[support] CCK Problem with Option Widget

Alex Tang altitude at funkware.com
Fri Mar 28 13:49:58 UTC 2008

Hello Davide,

The problem you're having is with how you must define the parameters in
your field and widget.

When defining an option widget (single checkox or radio button), the
"Label" field is not used.  The instructions for the field (at the top)
say (in english):

    For a 'Single on/off checkbox' widget, define the 'off' value first,
    then the 'on' value in the *Allowed values* section. Note that the
    checkbox will be labeled with the label of the 'on' value.

So:

    * You must enter  two (and only two) parameters in the "Allowed
      Values list:" text area
    * the format of the lines must be "value|label", (and the label of
      the first line is effectively ignored).

For example, say you wanted:

    * A simple "Yes/No" question for the user
    * The value returned stored in the database to be "1" or "0",
    * you want the label to be "Yes" (and the user must select "yes" in
      order for the value to be stored to be 1),

You should put the following in the Allowed Values section:

    0|No
    1|Yes

The weirdness about this format has to do with the way the module author
wanted you to be able to switch the field type from radio/checkbox to
list of radio buttons without having to change anything except for the
"Widget" type in the CCK field definition.

For more information about this, see http://drupal.org/node/115026, and
the comments by jsenich (comment #15), and yched (comment #16).

...alex...