[support] Getting rid of ".html" suffix in URL?

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 2 12:44:26 UTC 2008

Quoting Roy Smith <roy at panix.com>:

> I gave a URL for a page on my site (http://hyc.org/directions/car) to
> somebody to publish in their newsletter.  They apparently decided they
> knew better, and "corrected" the URL to have a ".html" on the end,
> i.e. published "http://hyc.org/directions/car.html".  Now they call me
> up saying their members can't get to our web site.
>
> Is there any way to make drupal treat the .html URL as an alias for
> the correct one?  More generally, is there a way to make it do so for
> *all* URLs that end in .html?

It has been suggested both apache rewrite rule and autopath.  Autopath
would create more overhead with DB selects.  For that reason a rewrite
rule may be better but autopath would allow you to change the
redirection URL for one specific item if you need it.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/