[support] Image queries

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sun May 4 22:18:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 4 May 2008 22:49:33 +0100
"Stuart Lawler" <stuart.lawler at visionline.ie> wrote:

> Dear Ivan,
>
> > Then you said you were going to kill the link around the logo.
> Why?

> Simply because for a screen reader user, the word Link, will
> indicate that the graphic will link to something else.  When we
> press enter on the link to activate it, nothing happens, because of
> course, it doesn't, so it really isn't necessary.

If you're on another page it may be helpful, if you're on the home it
may be misleading... at least it seems it is more misleading for
blind people than for people that can see the logo and won't notice
the link.
I guess because once the page is seen through a text reader, braille
tablet... that link is much more evident and "distracting" for blinds.

Interesting thing. I think the same concept could be applied to other
part to a web site to make it more "readable".
Some repetitions could sound more annoying if you get them through a
text reader... I bet if someone kept repeating "Hello" at the
beginning of each sentence I'd get annoyed pretty soon ;)

> With regard to alt and title text, the Screen reader will read
> both, but alt text, in the example you give below, would be spoken
> as well as title.

so link with title + image with alt and title is going to make people
using a text readers pretty bored.

> If I can ask you one final question for now.

> The solution you gave me for killing the link and changing the alt
> text worked perfectly, but now, I seem to have a heading1 with the
> site title and right after it, a heading2 with the word Navigation.

That should be OK. That somehow the order in which people will read
the page... just they will get the spatial representation.
Navigation should be in the left bar, but it is the next thing you're
going to read from left to right top to bottom after the heading.

If you'd prefer to let people "see" the content of the page first
in spite of the navigation block you'd configure drupal to display
the navigation block on the right column... but I think that may not
be enough depending on how the HTML is build up... since left and
right may be completely controlled by css and text reader don't read
css rather the HTML.
In case of garland anyway moving the navigation menu on the right
column should let you listen the content of the page and the
navigation later.
I can't decide which would be best.

> With my screen reader, these show up on the same line, although I
> understand that visually this may not be the case and they may well
> look fine.

You're right.

> Could you tell me why this might be occurring and how I might space
> them out a bit more?

I'd know better how screen readers and text readers works. But I
think my hypothesis should be right, they don't understand css and a
div is not enough to make them display content on different lines on
screen reader.

> The site can be viewed at www.iscc.ie/test/

You've to reduce the logo size. Consider also that the logo
background is white while the heading background is cyan (sort of).

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it