[support] Folding old site into Drupal structure

Tenant tenant at tenant.net
Fri May 16 18:13:16 UTC 2008

We run our own server (Debian) with many virtual domains. For many of
the newer sites using Drupal, we've followed the protocol of
installing Drupal -- in /home/drupal/public_html -- with each site
getting it's own directory in  /home/drupal/public_html/sites/mysite.com.

For all modules and themes we install in
/home/drupal/public_html/sites/all/modules (or themes) and that works
very well.

Works very well as long as we point mysite.com to
/home/drupal/public_html  in Apache vhosts.conf. All this certainly
takes a load-off from reinstalling updates in each domain.

However we have a few domains that are quite old (mid-90's) and have
extensive hierarchy of static files. We would like to upgrade those
sites to Drupal over time. So here's the question...

I could overlay Drupal in /home/old-site/public_html, then use Front
Page to keep the old site look & feel and even use menus to point to
older pages and use this setup while -- over time -- we would convert
old material to Drupal pages. And vhosts.conf would stay as it is for
that domain.

But doing so would require doing twice the number of
core/module/theme upgrades, a pain I'd rather avoid.

Alternatively, could I  install all the old site content files under
/home/drupal/public_html/sites/mysite.com - and then change vhosts
and get the benefit of single upgrades?

Or (third option) could I use symbolic links under  /sites/mysite.com
that link to the old site files and directories?

Are there other ways to approach this dilemma? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Jeremy