[support] Problems displaying views tabs under page

Steve Edwards killshot91 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 6 21:03:22 UTC 2008

I've created a new content type, and associated with that content type
is a taxonomy vocabulary with two levels.  I would like to have a page
that gives general information about the content, and then a tab for
each top level term in the vocabulary.  On each tab, I would like to
list the nodes for that top level term, and also display in the list the
second level term that is assigned to the particular node.

I spent a few hours yesterday trying to get this to work using the Menu
Tab functionality in Views.  I can get the three tabs to show up, but
with a couple problems:

1) I can't get them to be displayed under a page that already exists.
According to the help on the Default Menu Tab page for the Parent Menu
Item Type, "or to use the menu item that already exists at the specified
URL. For example, if the URL for the default tab is 'tracker/all', then
'tracker' would already have to be a valid menu item to use this final
choice."  So it my case, I have a page node with the url of mypage.  For
the view tab, then , I would like to go to mysite.com/mypage and see the
three tabs.  I set the URL of mypage/view1 and set the Parent Menu Item
Type to "Already exists (don't create)".  I also have two other views
set up with URLs of mypage/view2 and mypage/view3.  If I go to
mysite.com/mypage, I get my static page just fine.  However, if I go to
mysite.com/mypage/view1, I just get my three views, without the main
parent page.  Is there a way to set my page and the tabs up this way?

2) On each tab, I would like to display the second level term that is
assigned to each node in the field list (using Table view).  However, it
seems that in Views, I can only display the top level term, not the
second level term.

Is it possible to do what I need to do with just Views, or will I need
to do some custom coding?

Thanks.

Steve