[support] Internal server error (with .htaccess and mod_rewriteinstalled)

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Mon Oct 20 12:52:25 UTC 2008

Hi Hiro,

Is the server running SuPHP?

When I moved to a new server I had the same "internal server error" problem
and it turned out to be the different way that SuPHP deals with permissions.

I do the following at the command line in the directory above public_html
and it solves all my problems:

chmod -R 755 public_html

Obviously this applies ONLY if the issue is related to SuPHP -- don't mess
with your permissions unless you know the issue is related to SuPHP.

The reason I didn't respond upon your first message was because the issue
isn't really related to the .htacess file specifically, it is related to
permissions in general. But given that it seems your problem is not yet
solved, I thought I'd share my experience and have you investigate whether
your server is running SuPHP.

Best,

Shai Gluskin
content2zero <http://content2zero.com>