[support] module for user contact form control

Jonathan Hedstrom jhedstrom at opensourcery.com
Tue Oct 21 00:47:40 UTC 2008

Tony Crockford wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new, please go easy on me.
>
> I've been looking through the modules for Drupal 6.x and I can't quite
> match what I'm looking for, what i want to be able to do is have a
> user role that can access personal contact forms (if the user has
> allowed them)
>
> e.g. anonymous can't see the personal contact form
>
> authenticated user can't see the personal contact form
>
> gold_authenticated user *can* see the personal contact form *if* the
> user has allowed it
>
> any ideas?

Not sure if there's an existing module, but one idea for writing  a
simple one:

By using hook_menu_alter [1] you could re-define the access function:

function mymodule_menu_alter(&$callbacks) {
  $callbacks['user/%user/contact']['access callback'] =
'mymodule_contact_access_function_name';
}

then you could define:

function mymodule_contact_access_function($account) {

...implement whatever logic you want...

}

You can see how contact defines access by default here [2].

1. http://api.drupal.org/api/function/hook_menu_alter/6
2. http://api.drupal.org/api/function/_contact_user_tab_access/6

Cheers,

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Hedstrom                                     OpenSourcery
http://opensourcery.com                        Technology for Good