[support] email notification of forum message to all user (or certain groups)

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Mon Sep 29 05:45:46 UTC 2008

Hello. I am trying to convert a mailing list community about
environmental protection to the website using Drupal 5.4. Mailing list
is always my favour but for non technical groups this poses problem like

   1. contents are not properly categorized and have right tags attached;
   2. discussion are sometimes not followed well due to some user are
      not guru in using email software;
   3. big attachment is not practical for a lot of subscribers.
   4. ....

My effort to move user to the website is:

   1. Try to find a way to integrate mailing list to the forum on
      Durpal. Emails sent to mailing list automatically appear on
      Drupal. Currently I didn't find a technical way to do so, can you
      provide some hints?
   2. Try to make drupal forum sends email notification to everybody.
      Currently I found drupal only sends notification of forum message
      to those who subscribed the thread of discussion, this is not very
      useful in our case, in our case it's useful to send to even those
      who have not subscribed the thread of discussion also receive
      notifications. That's because it had been like this for 5 years
      and user feel it more comfortable than only receive subscribed
      threads notifications. There are too many lurking people that we
      don't want to loose by moving to the website. By doing so we
      ensure the user posting on the website forum does not feel lurkers
      would miss their message. Hints on how to make it happen?

Thank you very much in advance!

--
Real Softservice

Huateng Tower, Unit 1788