[support] Multiple site update and maintenance D6

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Apr 3 14:54:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 05:40:06 -0500
"Cosmo" <drupallist at dirtsimple.net> wrote:

> Nik,

> The truth is, IMHO, keeping updated your Drupal site(s) is not for
> the faint of heart. I use Drush all the time and it works well,
> but still updates are tedious work.

I just had to solve a problem that may offer some suggestions for
further development.

I've to do some "maintenance" to the DB supporting a multisite using
prefix/schema/different db users in postgresql.

I'm not aware of any way to loop through all "active" sites in a
multisite.
First, because I'm not aware of the concept of "active" site.

Anyway I could write some rudimentary code to "crawl" sites/ dir and
then

foreach($site) {
  drush ...
}

But in my case that's far from optimal since the DB is the same and
the operation to be performed is the same as well, just the result
is different according to the configuration of each site.

What I'm doing is duplicating and hard coding in an array the config
I'm interested into and then loop over the array.

I think somehow I could obtain a similar result:
- hardcoding some stuff in settings.php and making them unchangeable
  from the web UI
- using drush to build up an array of each site config (is it
  possible?)

Anyway what is a site config is hard to define or "group".
I think that other than in settings.php the majority of the most
interesting stuff are inside drupal variables. But still I wouldn't
be sure they are all there, that's depend on module developers as
well.

Putting some order there... and adding some hook/extra config param
may make managing multisites much more enjoyable.

In drush project page it is said that sql.drush module is "multisite
aware"... I've been looking at the code, but it just load settings
and parse the db_url.

I think having clearer what a drupal config is would improve the
profile project as well.
Maybe even automatically group drupal variables by module could help
managing the config... (even core modules that uses variables).

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it