[support] Assigning Nodes To Panel Panes

Steve Edwards killshot91 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 17 19:27:17 UTC 2009

I'm working on a site that is going to be a content driven site with
multiple contributors, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to give
the editors control over the placement of content.  We've created a
basic panels page with nine panes that will be used on all pages.  There
will be a separate panel page with the same structure for the front
page.  There is a vocabulary (called Content for now) that will be used
to tag all Article (a custom content type) nodes.  The Content
vocabulary has three top level terms, and then multiple terms under each
of those.  What we would like to do is use the panel page for each
second level term, where the three top level terms will be drop down
menus with the second level items as menu items.  The content displayed
in the panes would be for that second level term.

So, for instance, one of my top level terms is Everyday, and I have
three second level terms under it of Arts & Culture, Entertaining, and
Family & Kids.  On the front page, there would be an Everyday menu, and
then Arts & Culture, Entertaining, and Family & Kids would be items on
that menu.  Each item would go to the panel page, where all of the
content on the page would be Articles that are tagged with the
appropriate second level term.  The front page would be similar, but
would use a nodequeue just for items on the front page.

It's easy enough to create a view with an argument and pass that through
the panel for the secondary pages.   The tricky part is assigning the
nodes to the different panes.  For the front page, my initial idea was
to create a nodequeue that would contain all the Article nodes I want to
display on the front page.  A suggestion was made that I could use one
view with multiple displays, and each display would specify a nodequeue
offset. I would then assign a different display to each pane.  The
problem with that, though, is that as newer items are added to the
queue, the displayed nodes would move to different panes.  For the
secondary pages, I don't want to use nodequeues, because there are many
categories, and that would be a lot of nodequeues.

So with all that explained, what would be a good way to assign nodes to
my various panes?  I'm trying to do it in such a way that it's very easy
for editors to select which nodes are to be displayed on the front page
and secondary pages.  I already have a view with Views Bulk Operations
set up to assign to the Front Page queue and publish/unpublish, so if I
can go that route, that would be good.

Thanks.

Steve