[support] CCK, Views and translations work-flow

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Apr 22 16:29:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:33:23 -0600
"Steve Kessler" <skessler at denverdataman.com> wrote:

> How many languages does your site use?  You could add a CCK for
> each language and then I think from the node theme file determine
> what language you are and what if any fields should be displayed.
> The node ad form my get cumbersome but there are work arounds for
> that if this is worth pursuing.

I'm not sure I understood it correctly but somehow you helped me to
focus on the problem.

It is the way that translations are organised and somehow the lack
of "light nodes".

If I understood your suggestion correctly I'll end up with a node
that will have different "bodies" as CCK, one for each language...

I think this approach is too far from Drupal multi-language
management and sooner or later it will bite me back.

This could be thought as a "light node" with no body and different
"fields" as translations.

This approach has surely many advantages but somehow glue too much
every language... because every translation will have to live in the
same taxonomy.

Up to my experience different "languages" of a website may grow up
very asynchronously so the taxonomy tree for one language may not be
suited for another.

Auto-creating nodes (of my custom content type) with empty bodies
and then let people add custom content every time someone add a row
to the "common content table" has 2 disadvantages:
- if I add/delete a language I may end up with orphans than with
  "ghost" nodes, unless I make more complex the language
  creation/deletion procedure
- more complex longer operation with a non transactional relational
  DB layer

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo