[support] Redirecting a deleted node

Skip Taylor avskip at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 05:16:45 UTC 2009

There's a node (page) that I deleted from my site. I have attempted to
remove it from Google, but they keep scanning for it. They do this for about
3 hours before giving up and believe the node isn't there. The only real
harm is a really huge log file and a lot of 404's generated.

I've tried a lot of the examples I found on Drupal.org, but none seem to
really work. I have a feeling it's the address Google is using trying to get
at. I'm not sure .htaccess can handle the '?q=' part of the line.

http://www.example.com/index.php?q=node/1234&gccid=5810652&gcp=18

The site is on latest 5.19 and uses clean urls. I have no idea where they
got their address from but it is the correct node number that used to exist
but it was never addressed that way, always with a clean url.

What I've tried in .htaccess:

RedirectPermanent index.php?q=node/1234 http://www.example.com/newpage

Also:

RewriteBase /
RewriteRule index.php?q=node/1234 /newpage [R=301,L]

(yes, I positioned both BEFORE the clean rewrite rules)

But none have any effect on the redirect and all these get sent to the 404
page.

I'm out of ideas on this. Anyone else have ideas how to fix this? Is there a
way (or module) that might let me redirect based on a node number? I haven't
seen one yet that does that.

Thanks for your help,
Skip