[support] Fonts in drupal

Alexander Arul alexander.arul at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 13:40:15 UTC 2009

As far as I know, there are a bunch of fonts that are called "web-safe",
meaning they will be visible on all major operating systems. Arial /
Helvetica, Times New Roman / Times, Courier New / Courier etc.  Here is a
full list <http://web.mit.edu/jmorzins/www/fonts.html>

If you use the *"font-family: Arial,Verdana,Georgia;"* CSS attribute, the
browser will fall back along that list - if Arial isn't available, use
Verdana, if not, Georgia.

Having said all that, I also have some questions along this line:

1. Can non-standard fonts be used? If a user has, for example,
"flowery-cursive" font on their pc, and I specify the the css to use
"font:flowery-cursive;", will that work?

2. I remember some websites way back in the 1997-1999 period would ask the
user to download fonts. What is all that about?

Cheers
Alex