[support] views and calculated fields

Seth Freach sfreach at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:44:26 UTC 2009

Lluís,

First, what version of Views are you using?

If Views 1 (Drupal 5): what you need then is for your custom module to
implement hook_views_tables().  That is how you tell the views module
about your data and define fields and filters that are available to it.
start here: http://drupal.org/node/99564 and read through to part 5:
Filters.

If Views 2 (Drupal 6): you need to use hook_views_data() which you can
read more about here:
http://views-help.doc.logrus.com/help/views/api-tables.  from that
documentation page, in the Describing Fields On Tables section: "...
each table can also have an unlimited number of field designations;
these correspond roughly to fields on the table, though it is very
common to use non-fields to display data that isn't directly in a field,
such as data arrived from formulae..."
be sure to have a look at
http://views-help.doc.logrus.com/help/views/api as well for info on
using hook_views_api() and where the other views hooks should be placed.

Seth