[support] Apache issues with Drupal .htaccess

Steve Edwards killshot91 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 28 05:56:46 UTC 2009

I know this is more of an Apache issue, but I'm hoping someone in the
Drupal world has seen this too since it has to do with the default
.htaccess in Drupal.

On my MacBook Pro, I installed Apache/MySQL/PHP using MacPorts. I'm
running PHP 5.2.9 and Apache 2.2.11.  It works great, except for a
couple things.  For some reason, the .htaccess file cannot have the
following lines
 in it:

# PHP 5, Apache 1 and 2.
<IfModule mod_php5.c>
  php_value magic_quotes_gpc                0
  php_value register_globals                0
  php_value session.auto_start              0
  php_value mbstring.http_input             pass
  php_value mbstring.http_output            pass
  php_value mbstring.encoding_translation   0
</IfModule>

When they are, I get the following error message in my Apache error log:

 /Users/steve/Sites/myartleague/.htaccess: php_value not allowed here

However, if I comment them out and put them in httpd.conf, I don't get
the error.  However, this is a pain, since I have to modify the
.htaccess any time it's updated.

What's odd is that I have AllowOverride All set in httpd.conf.  You can
see it at http://pastebin.com/m4e09f963.

In addition to that, extensions only work with separate .ini files.  For
instance, xdebug will only work if I have xdebug.ini in
/opt/local/var/db/php5.  If I have the xdebug settings in php.ini, they
are not recognized.  They are only recognized in the xdebug.ini.
phpinfo shows a "Scan this dir for additional .ini files " setting with
a value of /opt/local/var/db/php5, which apparently seems to mean that
that directory has to be used.

If anyone can shed some light on why I might be having these issues, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks.

Steve