[support] CCK + Categories?

Marc Morris marc at cultmovieforums.com
Thu Feb 5 18:28:07 UTC 2009

Hi Ronald,

I'm confused about this as I've been told that Views isn't the way to
go with this.

I'm told that CCK fields are already mapped to the search so what I'm
trying to do doesn't make an awful lot of sense, and that  the better
way to search stuff is through categories (taxonomy), hence it being
suggested that I run a conversion from one set of CCK fields into
categories which would allow a user to search on movie nodes in groups.

I'm new to Drupal and to say I'm confused is an understatement.

Marc

On 5 Feb 2009, at 17:28, Ronald Ashri wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> an easy way to search CCK fields would be through Views. You can
> "expose" a filter on those CCK fields that would allow you to
> search them.
>
> If you want to link to search result pages that contained a specific
> value in a CCK field you could create the URLs by using the Arguments
> functionality of Views -- even if it is not quite as clean as the
> categories functionality of Drupal.
>
> Views with a bit of customisation would allow you to does specific
> search blocks, etc.
>
> There is a more sophisticated way through CCK Facets and Faceted
> search
> that might work in your case but I've never used those myself.
>
> Finally, if it is just a question of certain fields being more
> suitable
> as taxonomies/category terms and then write/get someone to write
> for you
> a small script that goes through all your nodes and assigns them
> taxonomy terms based on the value in the CCK field. Then you can
> use the
> full power of Drupal's taxonomy system.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> best,
>
> Ronald
>
> Marc Morris wrote:
>> Can somebody advise how I can run a conversion from one set of
>> (important) CCK fields into categories which would allow a user to
>> search on movie nodes in groups? I have tried to set up categories
>> but I don't see how I tie them in with CCK nodes.
>>
>> Basically I've set up a new content type using CCK ("Movie") with
>> numerous fields. There are over 5,000 nodes containing "movie" data.
>>
>> Some of these fields have keywords which I need to link to and
>> search, but I am unsure how to do this.
>>
>> I also need to add an advanced search function to search the "movie'
>> cck but again I can only find the standard search block. This search
>> function would allow the selection of a "type" and then user input of
>> the search required in relation to the selected search criteria.
>>
>> Can anybody help me with this?

Marc Morris
Cult Movie Forums
http://www.cultmovieforums.com/