[support] Theme inheritance broken

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Wed Feb 11 00:23:24 UTC 2009

Scott wrote:
> I'm working with a copy of Garland on Drupal 6.9.  Essentially I copied
> Garland into ./sites/all/themes/custom/kidsgardens to create my custom
> theme.  I created a working site.  I would now like to remove the
> template.php and style.css files (at least those parts that belong to
> Garland) from this directory and eventually have only my customizations
> there.  I named Garland as the base theme in kidsgardens.info and
> renamed template.php and style.css (to hide them) expecting them to be
> inherited from Garland.  No joy.  The php stops at the call for
> phptemplate_get_ie_styles(), the first function call in page.tpl.php.
> When I return template.php to my theme directory, the code works but my
> css is still gone - until style.css is returned to the directory.
>
> Being new to drupal I suspect I'm missing something fundamental.

If you have a css file named the same as the parent's, then the parent
theme's css file won't be used.

If you have not specified *any* css files in the parent theme, then
you'll be assumed to have a 'style.css' (even if you don't).

Without seeing your .info file and such, that's most likely waht's wrong.