[support] forum & blogs with og

Christopher M. Jones cjones at partialflow.com
Wed Feb 25 16:05:28 UTC 2009

There is a patch for og_forum which keeps you in the group when you go
to forums. Search the queue, or google to find it. If you don't know how
to apply a patch, you can google that too. There are instructions
somewhere on drupal.org.

As for getting the forums onto your group homepage, within a panel pane,
this is not directly supported. However, I recently asked this question
here and got a great answer. I'm quoting it below for your convenience
(thanks again, David):

This is a bit hackish but I've don'e this successfully using panels2 by
using custom PHP code.  It involves being able to read a module's
menu_hook though and write a little PHP,  and being careful about
security (cause you can bypass menu security this way.

The basic outline:

1.  Determine the function being called in the menu_hook,
1.  Create a minipanel (just to abstract the logic and security)
2.  Ad a snippet of custom PHP code that calles the function.
3.  Be extra careful to set security on this minipanel as it bypasses
the menu security mechanism.

In your example, the forums page could be loaded into any Panel by
including the following custom php pane in your mini-panel.

$block->content = forum_page();

This mini-pane can then be inserted into any block you have.  Here's a
more intense example where I'm passing context data to the php custom
page to add the view cases page to a form that passes node id into the
function being called.

$block->content =
casetracker_cases_overview($context->data->nid,'state:6');

Your question has sparked some interesting ideas for me with regard to
creating a module that does this more generically based on the data
that's already in the  menu system  :) .  Especially once we get to drupal
6 and wildcards in the path.  Wow the possibilities are endless.

Hope this helps.