[support] setting up each content area as two columns

Marc Morris marc at cultmovieforums.com
Wed Jan 28 19:33:05 UTC 2009

Thanks for your feedback Shai.

I'm using the zen theme.

> Drupal themes typically have sidebars. Out-of-the-box Drupal
> installations can easily populate the sidebar or sidebars with
> information put in custom blocks or blocks generated by modules.
> The main content column is typically populated by data coming from
> nodes (stories, pages...).

Is there a way in which you can have the sidebars running underneath
the header, navigation and "content_top" regions? I couldn't find a
way in which to do this.

> It seems like you aren't asking about anything more complex than
> what comes out-of-the-box in Drupal.

I'm now trying to assign two new "regions" - content_bottom_left and
content_bottom_right

> If and when you do need more complex page layouts, one popular
> module is called Panels (http://drupal.org/project/panels). Just be
> warned though, Panels is powerful and flexible but also pretty
> complex to use. It would be better getting experience building
> simpler Drupal installs first before beginning to fuss with panels.

I looked at Panels but it doesn't have a Drupal 6 version - otherwise
it sounds like it would have ben ideal.

I've just changed my  .info and page.tpl.php and I can now assign
blocks to these two new regions. However I need to change the style
sheet somewhere in order to have them display side-by-side rather
than one on top of the other.

Any ideas where and how and where I do this?

Thanks,

Marc