[support] Question regarding building a start page

Henning Sprang henning.sprang at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 22:29:32 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Christian Schoepplein
<chris at schoeppi.net> wrote:
> How can this be done
> with drupal. I played arround with the system but I was not able to
> setup this kind of page :(. Is it a matter of the theme I'm using or
> what do I need to do to build that kind of pages?

Yeah, this is a bit hard to find.

You can set the starting page by going into the menu
Administer - Site Configuration - Site information
Or, by URL:
http://yoursitename/drupla-path/admin/settings/site-information

There's a field with the label "Default front page"
And you can set the value of this field to an arbitrary node path
(beginning with the base Drupal URL).
So, you can create some node of your own and define it to be the start page.

The "node" that is the default here seems to be some automatism that I
didn't find being documented somewhere, but I didn't search a lot.

There's also the "Frontpage" module that let's you handle this
differently with a special module, but to me it looks as defining some
existing, normal, node as default is much more "natural".

The place to configure this should probable better be in "Site
building" or so - the start page to be used by the system is not "site
information" in my opinion.

Henning