[support] MyISAM vs InnoDB

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Mon Mar 23 15:32:34 UTC 2009

Pierre Rineau wrote:
> PostgreSQL is a way better than MySQL, about all topics.

Data integrity too? I thought the main benefit of Postgres was features
(triggers, stored procedures, etc).

> The only thing on which MySQL could be better, is maybe it's faster on
> read operations on small databases.

That shouldn't be underestimated. It means that MySQL is the right
choice for most websites.

> If you have to choose between MyISAM and InnoDB, if I were you, I'd
> choose InnoDB, it's a lot more stable. MyISAM may be faster and eat less
> disk space, but you may have really bad surprises with your data
> integrity.

Thanks. I'm leaning toward switching to InnoDB. I'll certainly move my
own work to InnoDB. Our website has both a Drupal site and a custom web
app that I wrote. The custom app is more critical than Drupal, so it is
a better candidate for InnoDB.

> In the company I work for, we used to make a MySQL intensive use, the
> first monthes, we abandon MyISAM for a lot of obvious reasons.

Actually, I would love to know what those reasons are. Is it just data
integrity?

Our web host doesn't offer Postgres, so I can't seriously consider that
option, but I would be happy to hear more about the pros and cons, just
out of personal curiosity. You seem to suggest that MySQL has faster
reads for small databases. How small is "small"? My boss likes speed. :)

Cheers,
Daniel.