[support] Drupal for image management, with metadata

John Callahan john.callahan at UDel.Edu
Mon May 4 13:20:37 UTC 2009

I have a large collection of images (11,000 at the moment and growing)
that I'm thinking about using Drupal for.  I'm wondering if anyone has
experience doing this and what modules would be beneficial.  Using each
image as a node with a decent taxonomy should work great for search and
discovery.  Views, lightbox, etc.. would work well for display methods.
However, three questions I do not know the answer to are:

1) batch upload, even if only one directory
2) reading EXIF/IPTC image metadata and mapping them to taxonomy terms
and/or CCK fields.
3) syncing attributes (i.e., edits to raw image EXIF/IPTC can
update/reimport the node fields/tags and edits to node fields/tags can
update the EXIF/IPTC metadata.)

I'm using Gallery2 right now (http://gallery.menalto.com/,
http://drupal.org/project/gallery) and it does some (item #1 and
partially #2) of what I need.  It even integrates nicely with Drupal for
users and display of images and albums.   However, I use Drupal for many
other sites (and I'd like to use views, lightbox, tags, etc...) and
wondering if I can bypass Gallery altogether.  Any thoughts or
experiences out there?   Thanks.

- John

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware
227 Academy St, Newark DE 19716-7501
Tel: (302) 831-3584
Email: john.callahan at udel.edu
http://www.dgs.udel.edu