[support] CPU usage

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Wed May 13 14:18:14 UTC 2009

Greg Knaddison wrote:
> A cheap VPS is $20/month and will likely solve the problem.

I am not a very good sysadmin and I hate sys admin work. I cry at the
thought of having to configure Mailman (I have no idea how) or spam
filters, or Apache, PHP and MySQL, or handle backup and recovery.

I speak from experience. I have been the sys admin of a non-critical
Drupal site and I know I would not like to do the same for a mission
critical site.

I chose this host as a way to get a balance between getting my fair
share of resources while having someone else do the day-to-day admin
work that I have neither interest nor aptitude for.

> Debugging a slow site on shared hosting is an exercise in futility.
> Regardless of the value you place on your own time, it doesn't take
> much time troubleshooting before a low cost shared hosting plan
> becomes a false savings.

I did not choose the present shared host based on savings. I chose them
because they have the best reputation for excellent support and uptime
that is second to none. So far they have lived up to their reputation.
My support requests receive an intelligent and useful response in less
than 2 or 3 minutes.

My top priority is reliability. I don't have enough confidence in my
admin skills to believe that I can achieve better reliability myself
than I can with United Hosting.

Daniel.