[support] CPU usage

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at theingots.org
Wed May 13 19:15:18 UTC 2009

Boris Berenberg wrote:
> If this is a serious site I would recommend a managed vps / managed server.

A *managed* VPS sounds like a good idea. The flexibility of a VPS, with
a competent sys admin to make the system actually work. But I'm not sure
we can afford that.

I think we can reasonably spend as much as $100/month if the system is
worth it. I would, however, prefer to keep the cost closer to $50/month
if that can be done. Looking at Rackspace, I don't know if that $399 is
per month or per year (I don't know if its a real server or just a VPS).
But I think that $399/month is probably outside our budget right now.

> If you are making
> significant money from your site a host like Rackspace:
> http://www.rackspace.com/solutions/managed_hosting/configurations/index.php
> Is 100% solid and will do anything and everything you need. Yes they are
> expensive, but they have the knowledge and experience to charge that fairly.

Do you use them? How much experience do you have with them?

We are not making "significant money" but the website is central to the
business and it is worth spending extra money to get a good service.

I am a bit hesitate to migrate right now. We are close to the end of the
school year and that's our busiest period. On the one hand, that means
that we really don't want customers getting blocked right now. On the
other, I wouldn't want any down time due to a server move.

Do you know if Rackspace has anything in our budget range? Can you point
me to reviews of Rackspace?

Generally I have been very satisfied with United Hosting. This is the
first time we have a problem like this and generally they are very
professional and responsive. That said, I don't feel any loyalty to them
and I'm willing to change if it'll make things better. But then again,
it is always a bit hard to move because you don't really know what
you'll get on the new host. Will it really be better? Might you have a
different set of issues? Maybe the new host will take a day to reply to
an email, or something...

Anyways, I'm willing to investigate Rackspace.

Daniel.