[support] Booking a period of time (again..)

Francesco entuland at gmail.com
Fri May 15 19:33:19 UTC 2009

2009/5/12 Francesco Baldini <fb at codicelibero.net>:
> I need to create a day, hour-to-hour (eg: 9am to 4pm), and let people book
> a part of this time, 1 hour or just 2, 3, 4, 5 and so on...
[...]
> as said, the biggest problem is that users don't have to book hour by hour
> but a period of 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.. so I can't create a post for every
> hour..
>
> any idea?

Hi Francesco,
I've been thinking a bit about your post, as well as about another
post here in the list which is about sorting comments.

The comment system is perfectly fitting for its purposes, but of
course it is limited to its hard-coded features.

One way to do the trick could be to create a new content type
containing a field which references the "hour" content. I would do
that by allowing it to reference more "hour" nodes. In this way, of
course, you'd have to create individual "hour" nodes.

Then, as another pick, you could create a content type containing:
- a field which references one "bookable day" node;
- a field containing a list where the user can select one or more hours;

Once you have done that you should customize something like the
page.tpl.php in order to let it show the corresponding booked hours in
each "bookable day" full node view.

Another idea could be to use the comment module as a template and
modify it to suit your needs. You would be creating an additional
custom module, actually.

Hope my thoughts could help to do the job - although my ideas do not
fully cover your requests. Also, I didn't try anything of the above,
but I've done similar things and I believe it can be done in a
relatively easy manner - assuming you're comfortable with creating and
debugging your own PHP code.

Good luck,
Francesco