[support] cvs command to checkout development release

T L tloud365 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 23:33:42 UTC 2009

Hey Mohammed,

So the command I sent is for a specific release--you could alter this
command to check out any release (denoted by the 'sticky tags' if you visit
the repo through your browser http://cvs.drupal.org/viewvc.py/drupal/drupal/).
It looks like the 7 dev releases are once every month or two, I'm not sure
exactly what the schedule is.  Every time a file is changed, its revision
number increases and one or more tags can be applied to a given revision.
For example, the  INSTALL.pgsql.txt file hasn't changed for 17 months--this
means the same revision has probably been used across many releases, whereas
other files may change every release or many times during development
between releases.

Looking at the d7 project page, "The HEAD of the Drupal core CVS repository
is now open for the forthcoming 7.x series."  This means that anytime you
don't specify a release/tag you get HEAD, which now points to d7.  The diff
between UNSTABLE-6 and HEAD could be significant in some areas and not in
others.  You'll probably want to talk to someone specifically involved in d7
dev, it might be more helpful to be on HEAD than UNSTABLE-6.  I'm not sure
how things are setup procedurally; but I'd guess there's  wiki or handbook
doc on the process, just don't know off-hand.  If you go with HEAD, you'll
probably want to stay on HEAD which means running cvs update on a fairly
regular basis.  I think there's a cvs commits mailing list.

There are gui clients for cvs though.  I used to work with a bunch of guys
who really liked tortoisecvs--I think it's windows only.  If you program as
well, eclipse has built-in support for cvs and it's cross-platform.

Hope that helps,
Tim

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Mohammed at atexplorer.com <
mohammed at atexplorer.com> wrote:

>  Thanks Tim,
>
> what is the difference between this and checking out head? and how do I
> know if they moved to unstable-7?
>
> I know about the tgz file, I just prefer to install from cvs as I need to
> update very often.
>
> thanks.
>

> On 5/27/2009 12:57 AM, T L wrote:
>
> how about
> cvs -z6 -d:pserver:anonymous:anonymous at cvs.drupal.org:/cvs/drupal checkout
> -d myworkingcopyofd7 -r DRUPAL-7-0-UNSTABLE-6 drupal
>
> -d myworkingcopyofd7 = your local directory
> -r DRUPAL-7-0-UNSTABLE-6 = the tag/label for that release
> drupal = what's being checked out
>

> looks like there's a tgz of the nightly build too on the d7 dev page.
> http://drupal.org/node/156281
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
>
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Mohammed at atexplorer.com <
> mohammed at atexplorer.com> wrote:
>
>> hello list.
>>
>> what is the correct command to use to checkout the latest 7.x-dev to help
>> in testing it? what would I change in the following:
>> $ cvs -z6 -d:pserver:anonymous:anonymous at cvs.drupal.org:/cvs/drupal
>> checkout -d www -r DRUPAL-6-12 drupal
>>
>> thanks.
>> Mohammed.