[support] asynchronous/batch work (eg. sending emails)

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sun Oct 25 08:36:33 UTC 2009

I need to start long jobs that may have a huge load on server.

These jobs need to access drupal DB and functions and continue
asynchronously no matter what happens to the connection with client
that started them.

If I just needed the DB connection data I'd normally use
exec()
that would launch another script running asynchronously.

Now I need some more functions from drupal and some of my modules.

I was thinking to use drush but maybe I can have some better
suggestion here.

I'm aware of
http://drupal.org/project/job_queue

but the queue will be long and dense and cron granularity is not
enough, sending out a bunch of jobs in the same cron tick may still
be too much.

Yeah it can be done... but maybe there is something better to handle
heavy queues.

Any alternative to job_queue? any completely different approach?

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it