[support] News and Services in the menu

Mansour Al Akeel mansour.alakeel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 17:04:00 UTC 2009

Maurice:
Thank you. I appreciate the advice to play with both approachs. I
think this is the best way to understand the core modules, and their
limitations. I will use the first one, and keep in mind that I will
have to follow the second one at some point. But for now I'd rather do
the best I can with the core modules.

Here's what I understood between the comments.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Maurice Mengel
<mauricemengel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know only Drupal 6.X
>
> Recepe 1: Without contrib modules:
>
> tag blog posts with the taxonomy term "news"
> tag blog posts with the taxonomy term "service"
In other words I need to create a taxonomy vocabulary "ie. catgories"
and add the terms I need.

> [use a different node type if want different behavior. Blog has submitted by
> on by default and breadcrumb has the name of the author; story also has
> submitted on by default, page doesn't etc.]
I am not concerned at this point about the bread crumbs. It's very
simple site. But to keep things as simple as possible (until I get the
picture), I like to use either Page or Story for the news. I
understand Blog entery may be more approperiate "I don't know why",
but If the two core content-types can do it, then this will be my
preference.

> link to /taxonomy/term/number or /taxonomy/term/number/all
I don't understand this part. Not yet there. But my hosting "Goddady"
dones't allow clean urls. It might be possible to work around, but not
a priority now. Do you mean here to add a menu item  with the path ?

> create a role for news editor and one for service editor
> use roles and node permissions to restrict publishing function to these
> roles.
I will look into the permissions when I construct the functionality I want.

> Disadvantage: the behavior of the overview page (river of news) which shows
> all news and service nodes is not very configurable. At least not without
> further ado.

Basically the site is as simple as it gets. I am going to need the
(river of news page), and I don't know how further ado I need.
The second example you gave me is very close to what I need
http://mimo-project.eu/. It's simple, and that's all I want at this
point, as I am newbie to drupal. I may need to put a block on the
first page showing the latest 3-4 news headlines. And a similar block
for services .... etc.

the main items :  Home - News - services - About - contact.

Nice to have, a single content type "News" that will appear later for
the news editor.
Again, I truly appreciate the advice to use both ways, and I think I
will have to, and I have to learn the contrib module (I know now way
around), but coming from different cms background, I want to know what
does the basic offer, and how to get the most.

Thank you.