[support] Searching/Browsing large term lists

John Furfey jfurfey at mbl.edu
Thu Sep 3 20:48:38 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am working on a setting up some medical terminologies for searching/
browsing in Drupal.  These terminologies are just flat lists but some
are quite large (250,000+ terms).  I've been able to bring them in as
individual taxonomies using Taxonomy Manager.  But when trying to
search them or create an autocomplete lookup via CCK, etc., the
application crashes.  I assume this is due to a scaling problem and/or
that Drupal Taxonomies are not meant to handle term lists of this size.

Anyone have any suggestions for allowing search/browse capability on
large term lists.  Maybe taxonomies are not the tool to use?

Thanks.
John

John Furfey
Digital Systems and Services Coordinator
MBLWHOI Library
Woods Hole, MA 02543 USA
PHONE:  508-289-7435
EMAIL:  jfurfey at mbl.edu