[support] From postgress to mysql

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Sep 14 12:50:40 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 5:26:44 am Michel Morelli wrote:
> Hi all. I'm the new maintainer and developer of a portal site based on
> Drupal 6.13 and Postgresql.
> I don't know postgresql, so I want to transfert all data from postgres
> to mysql.
>
> Is this possible ? Is this useless ? The last developer say me that some
> modules does not works with postgresql. Is this possible ?
> Views, cck, and other major modules works with this dbms ?
>
> Tnx for all.
>
> M.

There should be nothing Drupal specific about migrating from Postgres to MySQL,
so I would look into general MySQL resources on that subject.

PostgreSQL support up through Drupal 6 has been lackluster, mostly due to few
people running it and therefore few people testing on it.  The major modules
try to support it as best they can, generally, but that's not always
guaranteed.  There's been a huge push in Drupal 7 to improve the database
layer, and we should now have equally good support for MySQL, PostgreSQL, and
SQLite.  (At least that's the intent.)

As for which one to use, in all honestly you should use the database you are
most comfortable with and best at optimizing.  Most of the things that would
make MySQL or PostgreSQL faster for normal usage are dependent on the DB, not
on Drupal.

--
Larry Garfield
larry at garfieldtech.com