[support] COPPA module not working as expected

Rob Koberg rob at koberg.com
Fri Aug 6 19:06:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am using drupal-6.17 and the COPPA module coppa-6.x-2.0-beta1 and
relatively new to PHP and Drupal. I have seen other emails about
bugs/unexpected behavior which resolved through the latest version.
Perhaps I am not understanding how to use it. I have added the
profile_dob (date type) and parent_email (single-line textfield)
through the Profiles admin interface. The parent_email is hidden
onload so would be present if JS was disabled. I think this is how the
module should be integrated.

What I see in the user registration is a normal registration along
with the date selects. I have setup the pparent_email to show onchange
of the selects to a birthdate that would make the user under 13. I
enter a date that triggers the parent_email, give it a value and
submit the form. Now the user exists in the system and the profile_dob
and parent_email are stored. The next form presented is the same
registration form, now with a new parent_email field above the
birthdate selects along with my hidden parent_email. This new
registration form does not show the age selects with the correct
values, but the new parent_email has the correct value, my custom one
has no value.
(Prior to this I had just tried with the profile_dob (no custom
parent_email), and the same thing happens without showing my custom
parent_email and of course no value in the new parent_email field.)

I re-enter the form info using the same username, email, parent_email
and birthdate. I get errors returned saying the username is taken and
the email has already been used.

Am I setting it up incorrectly? How is it supposed to work?

thanks,
-Rob