[support] Displaying user's name in profile

Domenic Santangelo domenics at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 02:25:58 UTC 2010

On Aug 14, 2010, at 11:58 PM, Jacob Roufa wrote:

> Nevermind, figured out to use $account->name. This isn't documented at api.drupal.org... Any idea why?
>
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Jacob Roufa <jacob.roufa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to display the user's name in their profile with no luck... global $user; ($user->name); displays the currently logged in user... Everything I've read says either to use that or profile_load_profile($user); print $user->name; but neither are working and I can't figure out how to use the $account variable either. This is with Drupal 5. Any suggestions?

$user is always the current user object. profile_load_profile() is sort of an awkward way to get the user's name since it operates by reference:

$account->uid = 1337;
profile_load_profile($account);

I often set up a utility function in template.php that looks something like this:

function get_username_from_uid($uid) {
  $q = "SELECT name FROM {users} WHERE uid = %d";
  return db_result(db_query($q, $uid));
}

It's useful in corner cases.

In your case (on a profile page), $account should already be populated with what you need. print_r() it and make sure you're not missing it?

-D