[support] ASCII encoding email addresses

LESLIE FRIESEN FRIESEN.LESLIE at co.polk.or.us
Thu Dec 2 17:53:59 UTC 2010

Good morning,

We've been receiving an increased amount of Spam recently. One of our network admins is asking me to try ASCII-encoding the email addresses that display on the website.  I ran a test email address (my own) through an online tool that converts it to ascii, and came up with this:

friesen.leslie@co.polk.or.us

I then inserted that ascii string into the create link tool in the FCKEditor, attaching it to some text.  I've tried input filters of full unfiltered html, filtered html and anonymous.

No luck.  If I mouseover on the link, it looks right in the status bar below, but if I actually click to send an email, it only displays the "&" in the "To" field, and not the rest of the ascii. This throws an error in my email client (Groupwise).

You can see the test page at https://www.co.polk.or.us/ascii

Does anyone have any ideas on how to implement this?  Is the email client the problem?  My admin would prefer that I find a way to do it with ascii encoding rather than downloading and installing yet another module to keep up to date, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,

Leslie