[support] Using Drupal to connect Drupal content and external content

Patrick Mead patrick.mead.mki7 at statefarm.com
Sun Dec 12 13:22:41 UTC 2010

 I would like to create a web interface that allows business analysts
and developers to relate software development artifacts such as test
cases, requirements, tickets, etc.  The key requirement is that some of
the content should reside in other systems: FitNesse for executable test
cases, SVN for Word documents , Trac for tickets.  etc. Only a small
fraction would be uploaded or created in Drupal.  The reason for the
core requirement is that I want to maximize choice in tooling for
requirements management, defect tracking, and test case management. This
application provides traceability only.

The UI would allow me to do the following.

*         Enter an external URL and have that entity represented as a
"node" in Drupal.

*         Provide a view of external and internal content (uploaded or
created in Drupal) and create associations between nodes. For example, a
user should be able to graphically depict a link from a Java file in
Subversion to a versioned wiki page, representing a use case, in another
system.

*         Query on the relationships.

If I were to write this software, then I might use relationship tables
to provide "isDependentUpon" relationships between two URLs.
Alternatively, I might generate RDF documents to capture that
association. I know that I produce software with this capability, but I
wanted to avoid reinventing the wheel.

I've installed Drupal and read a significant amount of documentation,
but I want to terminate this search if Drupal is not the right tool for
this task. That being said, Drupal is very attractive for other
purposes. I am new to Drupal, so I apologize if I've asked an obvious
question.

                Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Patrick